Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Life is Messy


















My strong need to be orderly and organized has recently flown the coup. Well, the need is still there; don't get me wrong. However, I'm realizing that perhaps there is untapped joy in the disorderly, the messy, and the unpredictable.

I come home to toys scattered about the house. There is usually a basket of unfolded clothes on the couch. Glancing around, I can usually spot at least five things that "need" to be done. The dishes need to be loaded. Dinner needs to be fixed. The dog needs a bath. Toys need to be put back in their basket. The trash needs to be collected. The list is endless.

During one of my rants regarding the messy house, I had to stop myself mid sentence. No one in the room was missing out on life because of a few dirty dishes. As a matter of fact, maybe I was the one missing out. Jacob was in the recliner with Aaron, making him laugh out loud hysterically. Just his laughter was enough to make me stop in my tracks. The dog ran to greet me with his new toy in his mouth, as if to say, "where have you been all day? Let's play!".
The room was overflowing with life.

I decided in that moment that I choose life over order. Memories over mess. The dishes can wait...life is fleeting. Today, I choose the ones before me.

2 comments:

  1. yea for messy houses but adorable kids. Hope I can meet Aaron soon. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this the truth?!! I had to learn that lesson, and even more with 2 kids! It's unbelievable how quick a house can look like a natural disaster, but God showed me a verse that said something to the effect of manure in the barn means there are cattle there. Essentially, it means we do have life in our home, and for that we are thankful! Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete